Baltimore Community Foundation is a philanthropic foundation created by and for the people of Greater Baltimore, where many donors join together to make the region they love a better place, today and for future generations. Our mission is to inspire donors to achieve their charitable goals from generation to generation and to improve the quality of life in the Baltimore region through grantmaking, enlightened civic leadership and strategic investments. BCF’s vision is of a Baltimore that boasts a growing economy where all have the opportunity to thrive. Our action agenda organizes grants, initiatives and advocacy around this vision. The values that guide our work are trustworthiness, inclusion, and entrepreneurialism.
With assets over $225 million comprising over 850 charitable funds, BCF has granted over $450 million since its inception in 1972 and is one of the Baltimore region’s top grantmaking foundations. BCF makes charitable contributions to support a wide range of issues affecting the Baltimore region, currently with a focus on investments in two interest areas: Neighborhoods and Education. BCF undergoes a vigorous accreditation every five years and is certified under the Council on Foundation’s National Standards for U.S. Community Foundations.
BCF operates from the knowledge that profound disparities in opportunity exist between people of color and their white counterparts; and we acknowledge the historic and ongoing role that structural racism plays in creating and perpetuating those disparities. That is why we are committed to reducing racial disparities, identifying and combating structural racism, and fostering more equity and inclusion through our grantmaking, initiatives, and advocacy.
The bookkeeper is a full-time, non-exempt employee who reports to the CFO and Director of Finance and is responsible for administrative tasks as well as special projects related to the Foundation’s Finance and Accounting Office. The bookkeeper is required to perform the responsibilities of the position accurately, in a timely manner and with strict confidentiality. A basic knowledge of accounting and payroll, ability to conduct independent research, strong organizational skills, and the ability to communicate well with staff in all departments of the organization are essential to the success of the position.
- Process credit card uploads and general ledger entries.
- Process recurring invoices for operating expenses where vendors deduct payment from operating checking account including telephone, internet, rents, equipment leases, etc.
- Import payroll journal entries, records invoices in AP for benefits and cash disbursements for benefits.
- Record benefit payments processed electronically (FSA/HSA/Transit/Parking, 401K, insurance benefits).
- Reconcile all benefit related balance sheet accounts.
- Prepare bank reconciliations monthly for all checking accounts and petty cash.
- Research outstanding grant and operating checks.
- Prepare balance sheet account reconciliations monthly (13110, 13200, 13210), follow-up on outstanding items.
- Prepare separately invested account reconciliations and prepare journal vouchers to record monthly activity.
- Assist with preparation of docket and take minutes for Investment Committee meetings.
- Record asset acquisitions and dispositions in fixed asset software.
- Assist CFO and Director in special projects and any other duties as assigned.
- AA degree in Finance/Accounting or equivalent experience
- Good computer skills—spreadsheet, word processing, financial software
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team member in a high-speed, multiple-task environment
- Ability to produce timely and accurate reports
- Ability to work under defined deadlines
- Treat confidentiality seriously
The Baltimore Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and seeks a diverse pool of candidates in this search. We strive to be trustworthy, inclusive and entrepreneurial in all we do.
We offer a competitive compensation package including benefits such as health, vision and dental insurance, retirement contribution and match, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, disability insurance, charitable match, flexible spending account, employee assistance program and more.
To apply, please use the following link to submit a cover letter and resume:
Direct calls and/or unsolicited third-party endorsements are strongly discouraged. No professional recruiters please.